Welcome to my blog!



Monday, April 5, 2010

Crazy stuff...

So, I am going to be really quick tonight because unfornately I have statistics homework and who knows how long that is going to take! But I found some interesting stuff about why abstinence only education is not effective. Some abstinence only programs give inaccurate information about contraceptives...

Peggy Papsdorf, who is a coordinator for Plain Truth for Washington (a group that promotes comprehensive sex ed) witnessed a lecture by an abstinence only instructor. She claimed that in this lecture the instructor taught many outrageous ideas. Some of them were that birth control pills make you TEN times more likely to die, condoms are unsafe, boys are unaffected by premarital sex while girls suffer for LIFE, and that noone has premarital sex without paying a price.

Now, I think everyone can agree that these statements are highly exagerrated. But also.. the ones about contraceptives being unsafe and ineffective are untrue and also HARMFUL.
                                                      
                                                      Why?
Because 2/3 of people below the age of 18 are sexually active. And if this is the information they are receiving, then they are probably not going to use birth control or condoms, which is leading to our big increase in teenage pregnancy rates.

Yes, abstinence should be taught.... but it should DEFINITELY be backed up with ACCURATE information on birth control and condoms for the teenagers who do not practice abstinence.

So, yes, comprehensive sex education is the way to go :)

Now.. I know I have talked enough about why comprehensive sex education is the best. So how can be go about implenting this approach? Next time you'll find out.. just hang in there because tonight I have a date with statistics that I am not looking forward to!

Talk to you soon!

                                
Abstinence only education= JUST CONFUSING!

3 comments:

  1. So I am so proud that you incorporated some of your lifespan into this, or atleast I am pretty sure thats where the 2/3rds came from. haha. Good job!! And have fun on your date;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yess! my lifespan dcvelopment notes actually come into use every now and then!

    ReplyDelete