Welcome to my blog!



Saturday, April 3, 2010

Today's topic... Sex Education










Hi everyone! Since I have explained what causes teenage pregnancy and why it is a problem, I would now like to elaborate on a solution that I feel would be the most effective. As you can see, I definitely feel that proper sex education is the best solution. Now, I know this subject can be controversial between abstinence only and comprehensive sex education.

However, I believe comprehensive sex ed is best. Basically, comprehensive sex education promotes abstinence, but also acknowledges the fact that many teenagers are or will become sexually active & it gives the facts on how to prevent pregnancy and STD's.
Let me break this down for you:

ABSTINENCE ONLY EDUCATION: This type of sex education promotes and teaches abstinence. It does NOT acknowledge that many teenagers are or will become sexually active. It does NOT teach about contraceptives or condom use. It teaches that only abstinence will prevent pregnancy.
COMPREHENSIVE SEX EDUCATION: This type of sex education promotes abstinence, but also realizes tht abstinence does not work for everyone and that many teenagers engage in sexual activity. Therefore, it provides information about contraception and condom use.

So, basically comprehensive sex ed. is the best of both worlds. It teaches and promotes abstinence but does ignore the needs of the teeanger who engage in sexual activity.

Parents even want more of a comprehensive sex education approach for their children.
85% of parents say they want their children to be taught how to use a condom & 84% want their children to learn how to used contraceptives and where to get birth control.

In my opinion, abstinence only education only confuses the teenagers who are or will become sexually active because it clearly teaches that abstinence is the ONLY way to prevent pregnancy. It does not acknowledge the effectiveness of condoms or birth control. So, these teenagers are not properly educated and not fully protected when they decide to have sex. Like I said, abstinence is a great idea but of course it does not work for everyone...so why only teach that?

Next time, we will look more at the statistics about which sex education program is actually more effective !
Until then, I would love to hear feedback about what everyone thinks!

2 comments:

  1. bahaha..I loved the pictures they were great, and I love how you said let me break it down for you..too funny. lol.
    P.s. I like abstinence plus education way better too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha thanks girl!
    i slaved away trying to find those pictures so u better like them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and good im glad... you dont have a choice! bc i m=would make you agree with me!!! hahah just kidding. but im glad u do agree :)

    ReplyDelete