Welcome to my blog!



Thursday, April 1, 2010

Lasting consequences of teenage pregnancy

Hi guys! I hope everyone is having a great day—the weather here is beautiful!!



In this post, I am going to talk more about the reasons why teenage pregnancy is really a problem! In the last post, we talked about the health risks. So, now I am going to explain the OTHER risks.


There are many long lasting consequences that follow the teenage mother and child throughout their lives. One of these consequences is POVERTY. This is due to the fact that many pregnant teenagers do not finish high school and even fewer go on to college. So, pretty much they have limited job skills later in life. This makes it harder for them to get a well-paying job (Hoffman and Maynard 163). .


Children born to teenage mothers have also been known to be at a disadvantage in school. According to the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, these children are up to fifty percent more likely to repeat a grade level or drop out of high school!!


In addition to all of this, the daughters of teenage parents are more likely to become teenage mothers & the sons of teenage parents are more likely to go to prison than those born to older parents.


This information blows my mind, pretty much. I just think it is so crazy! You’re probably thinking “wow…teenage pregnancy really is a problem!!” ………But I’m not done quite yet! My next post is still going to have even MORE reasons why teenage pregnancy is a problem! But for now….I am going to enjoy the beautiful weather! Bye guys!


Source:

Hoffman, Saul, and Rebecca Maynard, eds. Kids Having Kids: Economic Costs and Social Consequences of Teen Pregnancy. 2nd ed. Washington, D.C.: Urban Institute, 2008. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment